Front Page
·   News
·   Politics
·   Economy
·   Election
·   Human Rights
·   Drugs
·   Sport
·   Refugees
·   Have Your Say
.   Y! RSS News
.   About Us
.   Advertise

Quick Vote


About Afghanistan
  President's Website
  Factbook
  Geography
  Brief History
  Afghan Watch
  Embassy Listings

Relief Agencies
  Mine Action
  UNDP Afghanistan

Partner Sites
  Virtual Afghans






US air strike killed 76 civilians, says Afghan president
24. August 2008, 12:48

By Jonathon Burch, The Independent (UK)
The Afghan President, Hamid Karzai, yesterday condemned a US-led coalition air strike which his government says killed 76 civilians, most of them women and children.

Coalition forces bombarded the Azizabad area of Shindand district on Friday. The US military said it was aware of allegations of civilian casualties, but said those killed were militants. "Our reports from our own forces on the ground are only, so far, that those killed in the strikes were 30 and they were all militants," said a US military spokesman. "All allegations of civilian casualties are taken very seriously. An investigation has been directed."

Demonstrations erupted in Shindand after Afghan soldiers arrived to bring aid to the victims' families. The troops fired shots into the air and wounded six people after the crowd threw stones. Protesters said they would continue to demonstrate until "the attackers had been brought to justice".

Kai Eide, the United Nation's special envoy in Afghanistan, said that he was aware of conflicting reports of casualties in Shindand and called for the incident to be investigated "thoroughly and quickly" before any conclusions were made. "The United Nations has always made clear that civilian casualties are unacceptable – they undermine the trust and confidence of the Afghan people," said Eide. "Every effort that can be made – must be made – to ensure the safety and welfare of the civilian population where military operations are conducted," he said.

Nearly 700 civilians were killed in the first six months of this year, 255 of them by Afghan government and international troops, the rest by Taliban militants, the UN says. In another incident, a roadside bomb killed 10 civilians in the Shah Wali Kot district of southern Kandahar province, and another roadside bomb killed three civilians in the Tani district of eastern Khost province yesterday.

Printer Friendly Version | E-mail this to a friend

digg




Search:


News Overview
September 2008
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1 2 3 45 6 7
8 9 10 11121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930


 Sponsored Links
 HRW's Report
» Afghanistan
» Report 2006
» Report 2005
» Report 2004
» Report 2003

 News Sites
» BBC Pashto
» BBC Dari
» BBC Online
» CNN
» Financial Times
» The Economist
» The News
» Frontier Post
» Yahoo! News
» UN News Center
» WSWS.org
» A. Press Monitor
» Pajhwok News

 Travel & Hotel
» Ariana Airlines
» Kam Air
» Kabul Caravan

 Business
» Money Converter

 Arts & Culture
» Cinema

 Afghan Music
» Ahmad Zahir
» Afghan Hits

 Health Issues
» AIDS (Persian)

 Afghan Sites
» Farsi Dictionary

 Weather
» Kabul
» Herat
» Kandahar
» Mazar-e-Sharif
» Jalalabad
» Ghazni
» Kunduz

 Sponsored Links
Why is this here?






Email Us for your questions and suggestions.
All external sites will open in a new browser. AfghanNews.net does not endorse external sites.
All rights reserved. Copyright 2000-2006, AfghanNews.net
Computed in 1.39 seconds


View AfghanNews.net Stats